Peer Tutoring Coordinator
Location: Library, Room 244
What is Peer Tutoring?
Peer Tutoring is a free service that provides Inver Hills students with scheduled academic assistance. Tutoring is available for most classes taught on campus. Tutoring is available to every Inver Hills student, regardless of their achievement level; Peer Tutoring is used by students of all abilities.
Tutoring services are provided through a peer tutoring model and through the Smarthinking Online Tutoring service.
Peer Tutoring services are available beginning the second week of the semester and any time throughout the semester until one week before final exams are scheduled.
How can I get tutored?
First, complete a Peer Tutor Request form either online or on paper from the Peer Tutoring office. It is important that you consider your class times and other obligations when indicating the times you have available for tutoring.
Second, check the bulletin board in the Tutoring Center on a daily basis for your appointment slip. Your appointment will be posted on the bulletin board and an e-mail message will be sent to your student email account. We will not phone you with your appointment information. Check the bulletin board and your e-mail.
Third, show up on time for your appointments, or make alternate arrangements in advance by calling or emailing our office.
Who are the tutors?
A peer tutor is a student who has already excelled in the course they tutor. Tutors are chosen for their academic and interpersonal skills. They are trained to be tutors. Their instructor has also recommended them for consideration as a tutor.
How does Peer Tutoring work?
- Students meet regularly once or twice a week with a tutor who has succeeded in the same class.
- Sessions are arranged to fit the schedule of the tutor and student.
- Students may schedule tutoring for more than one class each semester.
- The assistance we offer is personal and practical. It is designed to help you learn how to best use your study time and help you overcome minor obstacles to learning the material and mastering the skills.
Where do I go for Peer Tutoring?
Peer Tutoring is located in the Learning Center on the second floor of the Library Building and is available during these times:
- Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 11:30 a.m.- 8:00 p.m.
- Friday: 7:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
How can I make the most of Peer Tutoring?
Check out Tips for Successful Tutoring Sessions to learn how to get the most from your sessions.