Peer Tutoring Coordinator
Location: Library, Room 244
What is Peer Tutoring?
Peer Tutoring is a free service that provides Inver Hills students with scheduled academic assistance. Tutoring is available for most classes taught on campus. Tutoring is available for all Inver Hills students, regardless of their achievement level. Peer Tutoring is used by students of all abilities, not just for those who are struggling in their classes but anyone who desires a better understanding of how to study for a class.
Who are the tutors?
A peer tutor is an IHCC student who has already completed and excelled in the course(s) they tutor. All tutors are recommended by their instructors for their academic and interpersonal skills. Tutors attend weekly training sessions throughout the semester with many of them acquiring Certification for Levels 1 and 2 through the College Reading and Learning Association. CRLA is an International organization which certifies tutor training programs; more information regarding this organization can be found at www.crla.net.
How does Peer Tutoring work?
- Sessions are arranged to fit the schedules of both the tutor and student.
- They are scheduled to meet regularly once or twice a week for 50 minute sessions.
- Students may schedule tutoring for up to two classes each semester.
- The assistance we offer is personal and practical. It is designed to help you learn how to best use your study time and help you overcome minor obstacles to learning the material and mastering the skills.
- It is not considered a Homework session. Students must complete as much of their homework as they can before the tutoring sessions, making note of specific questions or areas of concern/confusion.
How can I schedule an appointment with a tutor?
- Complete a Peer Tutor Request form either online or on paper from the Peer Tutoring office. It is important that you consider your class times and other obligations when indicating the times you have available for tutoring.
- Check your e-mail account for a message from the Peer Tutoring Office with your tutoring appointment information: tutor’s name, day & time of sessions, and date of your first appointment. WE WILL NOT PHONE YOU. It is up to you to find out when your first appointment is scheduled. Call our office to confirm your appointment: 651-450-3693.
- Show up on time for your appointments, or make alternate arrangements in advance by calling or emailing our office: email@example.com
Where do I go for Peer Tutoring?
Peer Tutoring is located in the Learning Center on the second floor of the Library Building. The Office is open Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
When are Peer Tutors Available?
- Peer Tutoring services are available beginning the third week of the semester and any time throughout the semester until two weeks before final exams are scheduled.
- Tutoring sessions are scheduled based on the availability of the peer tutors. Most tutoring sessions are scheduled between the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Fridays with limited sessions available at 8:00 a.m. Mon- Fri and some evenings as late as 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. Mon – Thurs.
- Walk-in biology tutoring is available in HH206 for many hours throughout the week. A scheduled is posted by the door of when a tutor is available.
- Every effort will be made to schedule each student who requests a tutoring session; however, at times, due to conditions beyond our control a tutor is not available.
- If you are unable to travel to campus, free online tutoring services are provided through Smarthinking.
How can I make the most of Peer Tutoring?
Check out Tips for Successful Tutoring Sessions to learn how to get the most from your sessions.